Shandon Park Golf Club – a superb parkland course
A Brief History of The Club
First opened for play at the present Shandon Park Golf Club site on 30th April 1898. However, the original name of the club which played on this course was Knock Golf Club, formed in 1895. It wasn’t until 1925 that the idea of establishing the Shandon Park Golf Club was conceived after Knock Golf Club moved to their present location in 1920. In 1936, a full eighteen holes was developed, designed by the club professional assisted by Mr Eric Riley.
In the annals of Irish golf, Shandon Park Golf Club stands out more than most due to the competitions the course has hosted, the titles it has won and by the quality of the players it has produced.
For seven decades the Club has had a veritable production line of international players who have represented their country and Walker Cup teams with distinction. The most recent of these is Michael Hoey, four time winner on the European Tour and recent holder of the Dunhill Trophy.
The Club has attained 13 All Ireland Senior Cup victories, British Amateur and Brabazon Cup wins by Michael Hoey and David Long and a total of eight. Full Internationals and one Walker Cup player, (Michael Hoey).
In addition, there have been many other All Ireland victories by other Club teams and Shandon Park has the distinction of being European Club Champions in 2000 and 2001.
Shandon Park hosted the Blaxnit Championship in 1964 with such notables in the field as Tony Jacklin, Christy O’Connor and the Club’s own amateur, Brendan Edwards. From 1965 to 1970 Shandon was home to the Gallaher Ulster Open which again brought the cream of the professional game to Belfast. Peter Allis, Brian Barnes, Dai Rees and Peter Oosterhuis all competed during this time.
The Club built a new clubhouse in 2000 and since then has successfully hosted the All Ireland Finals in 2007. Shandon Park also hosted the 2012 Ladies British Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship and the World Police and Fire Games golf in August 2013.